Petite fashion doesn’t mean you have to scour the kids section or keep a tailor on retainer anymore. Many retailers are now starting to cater specifically to women 5’4″ and under. Which is great news for little ladies, like myself – I’m five feet flat! Which means all my jeans are hemmed, my sleeves rolled, and (the worst) I have given up on wide leg trousers.
But being petite doesn’t have to mean giving up fashion. In fact, with so many petite-specific retailers and designers out there now, it’s quite simple to be stylish and short! In addition to the right fit, there are a few tips petite ladies can follow to elongate their bodies and dress age appropriately without sacrificing style. Here’s my favorite tips for petite fashionistas:
- Vertical pinstripes help create the illusion of legs for days. Pair with a solid blouse to elongate your torso and draw even more attention to the bottom half.
- Don’t let big jewelry overwhelm a bold outfit – choose one or the other, a statement piece or a bold cut.
- It’s all about the silhouette – a fitted sheath gives a great shape. a pleat detail above and below the waist flatters both wide and narrow frames.
- A tailored jacket that comes in at the waist won’t overpower the rest of your outfit. Play around with a unique collar shape for a piece that stands out.
- Skinny jeans should hug your curves and sit at or right below the ankle. Pair with nude pumps for a leaner and longer look.
We’ve gathered a few of our favorite pieces for Fall 2013 – check out our Pinterest board for petite fashion inspiration >>
Amity is involved with Petite Fashion Week, which kicks off today! To find petite retailers, attend a petite event in your area, or read up on fashion tips, check out the website for more information or join the conversation on Twitter with #petitefashionweek